Empire Property Connections provides a range of letting and management services based on the experience, skills and expertise. You can be assured that we have a detailed understanding of the lettings and management sector and will ensure that you are given the best possible service.

In order to obtain the best possible tenants, you must present your property in the most effective way.

• Interior walls should be neutral colours and carpets plain

• Fabrics and Furnishings (if any) should be able to withstand reasonable wear and tear and be of suitable quality

• Animals and their odours should be eliminated

• The front door should be clean and the Entrance Hall clear of any obstructions as first impression is important

• The entire property should be clean and well-aired and the garden tidy.

• If the weather is cold, heating should be turned on and, in warmer conditions, windows opened

• For any other advice contact Empire Property Connections


Other important considerations for landlords before letting

• Written consent must be obtained from your Mortgage Provider/Freeholder (if property is leasehold).

• Your Insurance Company must be notified that the property is to be rented out and appropriate insurance obtained for a tenanted property. There are specialist insurance companies who can provide this and we would be happy to assist you.

• The Inland Revenue must also be informed within 6 months of letting your property, flat or apartment in the UK and failure to do so will incur penalties, interest and other consequences. The Inland Revenue deals harshly with Landlords who do not declare their rental income and it is always best to seek advice on tax planning and Capital Gains Tax from a fully qualified Accountant.

• Mail should be redirected with the Post Office.

• Utilities such as gas/electricity/water/telephone & Council Tax will have to be transferred to the successful Tenant.

• An Inventory and Check In should be drawn up. This is an important legal document which forms an integral part of the Tenancy Agreement and, as such, it is a false economy to prepare your own in most cases.

The Inventory is required whether the property to let is furnished or unfurnished and accurate descriptions of the overall condition of wall/floor coverings, kitchen and bathroom fittings. Amounts cannot be withheld from the Tenant’s deposit unless the loss or damage is proved to have been caused by the Tenant.

LEGAL DUTY OF CARE – Under common law, the Landlord must ensure that properties to let are safe and failure to comply with Safety Legislation is considered a criminal offence resulting in legal action and prosecution.

As your Managing Agent, we can carry out safety checks upon your request, deducting the cost from your rent.

• Gas - (The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1994 (amended 1998) – the Landlord must maintain gas installations and all gas appliances through annual inspections and safety checks carried out by a Gas Safety registered engineer and a copy of the Current Inspection Certificate must be left at the property.


• Electricity - (The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 & Electricity at Works Regulations 1989- the Landlord must ensure that all mains voltage household electrical appliances and equipment’s are tested and safe to use. Any non-repairable items must be replaced and removed.

An NICEIC or similarly qualified electrical engineer must carry out these tests on an annual basis and we would also recommend this is done upon change of Tenancy.

All operating instructions must be left in the property for the Tenant’s benefit.

• EPC certificate - An Energy Performance Certificate is required for properties when constructed, sold or let. The Energy Performance Certificate provides details on the energy performance of the property and what you can do to improve it.

From April 2018, landlords of privately rented domestic and non-domestic property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.


• Furniture and Furnishings - The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety)Regulations 1988 (as amended 1989 & 1993 & 2010)- Soft furnishings (such as mattresses, settees, bed bases, cushions and padded headboards) must meet fire resistance standards and bear a permanent label confirming this. If compliance cannot be proved, the item must be removed and replaced.

• Smoke Detectors – From 1st of October 2015 at least one smoke alarm must be installed on every storey of a rental property which is used as a living accommodation and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as a living accommodation where solid fuel is used. Landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy and throughout the term.

NB: The penalty for failure to comply with statutory safety legislation is currently a maximum of £5,000 and/or 6 months imprisonment for each offence. This can be harsher in the case of injury or fatality.

Right to rent-

As a landlord in England, you may be exposed to a civil penalty if your tenants are discovered not to have the right to rent.

What is the right to rent?

People who are allowed to be in the UK have a right to rent. People who are not allowed to be here do not have a right to rent.

Who should make right to rent checks?

Right to rent checks should be made by landlords, agents or householders who are letting private rented accommodation, or taking in a lodger.

In the majority of cases, checking a tenant's passport may be sufficient; any British Citizen or holder of an EEA passport has the right to rent in the UK. Other countries passport holders must have valid visas or if it is with the Home Office, then letter stating the case is ongoing and status should be legal.

The above is only a guide to the legal safety requirements and should you have any further enquiries, we would recommend that you contact a qualified solicitor who will be able to verify these in full.

Overseas landlords – you are considered an overseas Landlord if you live abroad or go to work abroad for lengthy periods of time.

It is important to firstly note that Inland Revenue regulations apply even if you are a non-UK resident. Moreover, non-resident Landlords must apply to the Inland Revenue Financial Intermediaries Claims Office (FICO) for authorisation (by way of an exemption certificate) to receive payment of property rental “gross”, that is without deduction of Income Tax by the letting agent or Tenant as required by law.

NB: The above is merely a guideline and for fully qualified advice, you should contact an appropriate Accountant or Tax Expert.


• Advice on letting your property

• Rental evaluation, provision of property details with colour photographs

• Advertising of your rental property in local publications/on our website

• Accompanied viewings and finding a suitable tenant

• Status enquiries/reference and full credit check of prospective tenants

• Obtaining security deposit/rent guarantee

• Obtaining competitive quotes for insurance

• Organising/preparing the Inventory and Check-In (additional charge)

• Preparing Tenancy Agreement and Legal Notices

• Arranging transfer of Utilities to tenant’s name and establishing Council Tax and Water Rates in tenant’s name

• Advising on compliance with Safety Regulations for Gas/Electricity supplies etc.

• Collecting monthly rental payments and providing monthly accounting to landlords

• Arranging annual gas safety checks (chargeable)

• Periodic inspection of the property and reporting of any problems

• Obtaining competitive quotations and, upon approval, arranging for necessary repairs/maintenance to be carried out

• Contacting the Tenant and arranging for renewals and/or check-out as necessary

Our fees


Holding Deposit

A holding deposit of 1 weeks rent of the property will be required to reserve the property.


A deposit 4 to 5 weeks rent is required.

The first month’s rent in advance.

(We do not accept any cash payments)

Unpaid rent

Unpaid rent – Interest charged at 3% above the Bank of England base rate from the date due.

Late rent reminder letters

Where the rent is not received within 3 days of the rent due date, the tenant shall pay a fixed fee of £60 inclusive of VAT.

Each reminder letter that we send we will charge you £60.

Early termination of contract 

The tenant\s are liable for the landlords re-letting costs and any void period until a new tenant is found. 

Home lock out

The tenant agrees that in the event of the keys being lost, stolen or missing the tenant will pay the full cost of replacement of the same and of any replacement locks that may be supplied or the purpose of security. (If a new set of keys are to be provided or locks changed then the cost of keys or new locks will charged for.)

You may call your own locksmith


Landlord fees

Full Management*

10%   of the monthly rent plus V.A.T unless agreed differently, our minimum   contract is a 1yr term.

Our   full management fees do not apply when the property is vacant.

Let Only Service

2   weeks of the property’s weekly rent agreed Plus V.A.T

Our   minimum fee is £350plus V.A.T unless agreed differently,

Other Fees or Services for Landlords

Gas safety certificate£80
Electrical safety certificate£120
Energy performance certificate£80
Section 21 notice£100
Section 8 notice£100
Property inspection visits£100
Issuing court possession paperwork£350 + court fee
Court appearance£350
Issuing court bailiff paperwork£150 + court fee
Attendance on day of eviction£200.00 + associated locksmith costs charged at cost
Apply for a licence on the landlords behalf£300
VAT is applicable on all fees.